- 10 minutes of class time
- student internet access
How it Works
Offer the following optional assignment to the class (for extra credit if applicable):
- Search online for the story of a well-known person who shared about their own experience with a mental illness such as depression, bipolar disorder or anxiety disorder.
- Here are some recent examples from BuzzFeed.
- Write a one-paragraph summary of their story – a verbal “selfie.”
- Read the paragraph aloud to the class, and lead a discussion about it.
- Addresses misconceptions and stigma about mental illness head on, with memorable examples that resonate with students.
- Encourages students to investigate on their own, and to advocate to reduce stigma.