Coping Skills Homework
- 5 minutes during one class session
- 10-15 minutes in a subsequent class
How it Works
- Along with a day’s assigned homework, ask students to complete a quick coping skills exercise:
- List 5 to 10 coping skills they have used recently when they felt like blowing off steam, procrastinating, or comforting themselves
- Circle those coping skills that they now think might have been unhealthy or counterproductive
- For each circled skill, come up with a healthier alternative
- Give extra credit points for the exercise if applicable.
- Helps students reflect on how they currently cope.
- Helps students learn the difference between healthy and unhealthy behaviors.
- Helps students see that when it comes to reducing stress, they have choices.
Note: You’ll find other exercises and resources for encouraging students to take charge of their wellness in the Self-Care Tools section.