The Reset Button
- A visual aid resembling a reset button
- 5 to 10 minutes of class time per use
How it Works
- At some point during the class period, announce that the entire class is going to stop what they’re doing and “hit the reset button.”
- An illustration of a reset button or an actual switch or button, or even a timer can be used as a prop.
- Ask students to think about the one situation or person that is concerning them most at the moment (perhaps an upcoming test, social event, problem at home, etc.). They do not have to share the issue.
- Ask students to rank their current stress level on a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being totally freaked out)
- Engage students in a mini-relaxation exercise (several alternatives can be found here)
- Ask students to rank their stress level after the exercise.
- Creates a time and space for students to practice recognizing their stress level and taking steps to decompress.
- Introduces students to a healthy coping skill they can easily incorporate into their day.